Monday, August 1, 2011

A Really Confusing Dinner

this place I think, used to be a car repair shop

ChickBoy is not a boy who has a lot of chicks (girls) or neither is it a half boy and half chick (again, girl). This is actually the name of the restaurant. They rode on the name's loaded meaning to probably try to jump start their business' notoriety and therefore it's popularity.

We've been passing by this restaurant for quite sometime now since it's very close to our home. We just never really got to going in because of 1) the parking is always full, 2) restaurants that use puns are usually cheap and disgusting, and 3) the restaurant was formerly a car repair shop (if I remember correctly). This time we got a parking (sort of) and I was feeling curious.

Their specialties are chicken (Chick) and pig or baboy (Boy) in Filipino but they also have seafoods and vegetables. This restaurant also offers liquor which suggests that this is a sort of hangout place for drinkers on a Friday night.

For this visit we tried their Lechon meal, calamares fritos, eggplant and, the ever present, iced tea.

not so 'fatty' lechon bits
Location: ChickBoy, Timog Ave., Quezon City
Food Ordered and Cost: Lechon Meal P99, Calamares Fritos P150, 
Eggplant P25, Iced Tea (bottomless) P35


He says...

side-street calamares tastes even better :( 
I was a bit panicked when ordering because there was so many food and Anne was already pressuring me to pick an order so I ended up choosing the calamares fritos. The calameres itself was cooked well and the quality of the squid was excellent because it didn't feel like I was eating rubber but calamares is usually complimented by its sauce. This wasn't. We were given mayonnaise for dip. It's disgusting.

The lechon on the other hand was great! It tasted like it came from a freshly roasted pig unlike most grilled or roasted pork meat I've tasted so far. It was well matched by the sauce -- a semi-sticky mix of I-don't-know-what-but-I-like-it. It's the best lechon I've tasted ever and I regret not ordering two of this.

I did't taste the eggplant because it didn't look inviting so only Anne ate it (also because it was her order). The iced tea was very regular and no different from the ones you can make at home with ready to mix iced tea.

He rates: 5/5 lechon; 2/5 calamares; 3/5 iced tea.

he says this tastes like 'sock soup', I beg to disagree
She says...

I like how fast they served the orders. It was really amazing. If you're so hungry I guess this is the place for you. Apart from that I think they do offer unlimited rice (something which we didn't avail as "we're on a diet").

As for the food we ordered, the lechon was really yummy. I like how flavorful the roasted pork meat tasted. It also had an easy to chew-on consistency which is a major plus factor. I initially thought I would need a vinegar-garlic-salt combo for the dip but then when I tried out their sticky and clear looking sauce, it was perfect! It had the right amount of vinegar and condiments that truly made the lechon even more yummy.
pure sugar iced tea, no need for dessert!

The other food we ordered we really disappointing though. The calamari was soft, crunch and easy to chew but it merely tasted like fried flour. Even with the mayo siding, the taste did not improve.

The eggplant with bagoong on the side was alright. I looked boiled but it appeared oily. They didn't use fresh eggplant. I know this because the eggplant's texture was really rubbery.... really awful.

The free soup on the other hand was tasty. It was just a simple meat broth that reminded me of the soup my mom prepares when I'm sick.

Lastly, I really don't like their iced tea. It's so sweet. It had too much sugar in it.

She rates:  5/5 lechon, 2/5 eggplant ,  1/5 calamari,  2.5/5 iced tea

No comments:

Post a Comment