Friday, August 19, 2011

Reminiscing Malaysia

spicy version of Nasi Lemak's char kuey teow

Coupons is perhaps the latest craze that hit the Philippine market. It is where you get to enjoy perhaps the best deals in town. A few weeks ago he stumbled on this interesting deal, a half-price deal on a voucher in Nasi Lemak. It's a restaurant located in the east lane of the minotaur-friendly Robinsons Galleria. I personally found the name of the resto very interesting because it bore the name of the dish we stumbled upon while waiting for our return flight at the airport in Malaysia. When I ordered nasi lemak, I actually didn't have any idea what it was. I just saw the label "wraps" so I thought it was a sandwich. When we finally settled in the airport, after all the check-in procedures, voila! It turned out that nasi lemak is a dish that's got rice with sweet satay sauce, anchovies, pickled papaya, salted egg, and bagoong (shrimp paste). We were then non-rice eaters but we pretty much enjoyed the dish.

Going back to Nasi Lemak restaurant in Robinson's Galleria, we ordered the Nasi Lemak set, his all-time favorite char kuey teow, and milo dinosaur for the drinks.
Nasi Lemak's nasi lemak set

Food Ordered: Nasi Lemak set, Char Kuey Teow, Milo Dinosaur
Location: Nasi Lemak Restaurant, East Lane, Robinson's Galleria
Cost: Nasi Lemak set P260, Char Kuey Teow P220, Milo Dinosaur P118
Milo Dinosaur...
baka kasi mukha siyang brontosaurus

She says...

I really enjoyed the char kuey teow here. It had just the right blend of sweetness, spiciness, and yumminess. The noodles was firm. It was not a very oily dish. Compared to the char kuey teow in other restos, I liked this one the most. This one reminded me of the char kuey teow we had in Genting Highlands in Malaysia. He really liked the dish so when we got home, we've been shopping around several asian cuisine restos just to get a taste of the char kuey teow. This perhaps for me is the "one."

The nasi lemak set on the other hand was alright. The satay sauce was sweet and creamy. It had the essentials to make the dish a true nasi lemak such as the peanuts, anchovies, pickled papaya and shrimp paste although instead of the small sardine fish, they served a bigger fried fish and along with it a grilled chicken. The grilled chicken was very dry. The fish was unremarkable. The rice was sweet and creamy. It was perhaps a great dish but it just really didn't measure up.

Our drinks, the milo dinosaur was very delicious. It reminded me of the free milo served during sportsfest in my elementary days... The extra milo powder toppings was remarkably nice. I used to do that when I prepare my iced-cold glass of milo.

She rates: 3.5/5 Nasi Lemak; 5/5 Char Kuey Teow; 4/5 Milo Dinosaur
found another resto with char kuey teow on their menu!
He says...

Char Kuey Teow!!!!!

That pretty much sums up my feelings about this whole dinner. I first had the pleasure of having this fine meal when we were in Genting Highlands in Malaysia where we ordered 3 big plates of this dish. I ate two and a half of them. The Char Kuey Teow here is even more delicious than in Genting so I enjoyed myself even more.

When we ate the Nasi Lemak at the Airport in Malaysia, I disliked it because it was weird looking and weird tasting so I gave it to Anne and ended up eating round two at a popular international fastfood restaurant with a clown for a mascot. The Nasi Lemak here though was a different story, it was surprisingly good! It is no wonder they named this restaurant as such. The rice mixed with the satay sauce and peanuts and anchovies was freaking awesome! Of the two dishes, this was the more delicious one, the other dish just one ups this because I loved it in Malaysia and I have much love for char kuey teow.

The milo dinosaur was... meh. It was a stupid  finish to such a wonderful meal. Maybe we should have stuck with some coffee or maybe water.

He rates: 5/5 for the meal. 1/5 for the milo

No comments:

Post a Comment