Saturday, July 2, 2011

Anne's Laboratory: Rhum Ribs


I saw I pack of short ribs lying around at the fridge for almost a week now thus I though it might be nice to cook something up. I've always like eating ribs as I find the meat really succulent. Just the thought of it makes me hungry. I'm not really sure how but the thought of cooking up rum ribs just stuck to my thoughts in a repetitive rhythms... that is, I just can't stop thinking about it.

So where did I begin? I searched online for recipes of rum ribs but I found them to be really complicated. I also do not have grilling equipment making it impossible to cook up rum ribs as their recipes have shown. So what I did is checked out all the ribs recipes and came up with my own version of rum ribs.

Ingredients:
1kilo short ribs
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup dark rhum
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 can (439g) pineapple tidbits
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp cornstarch
dash of black pepper

Directions:
1. In large pot, boil ribs in low fire until tender.
2. Mix ketchup, soy sauce, chili sauce, sugar, garlic, black pepper, and dark rum. Warm mixture but do not let it boil.
3. Place juice from pineapple tidbits in a bowl. Add in cornstarch and dissolve.
4. Add juice and cornstarch mixture to sauce mixture. Keep on low fire until mixture thickens.
5. Place tendered ribs in a pan. Add in the pineapple tidbits. Cover with sauce mixture.
6. Bake in an oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes.

She says....
This recipe reminds me of steak we had at Rack's. The sauce turned out to be really spicy hot. It you want a milder flavor, you can lessen the amount of chili sauce you add to the mixture. Happy cooking!

He says...

YUMMY! It is surprisingly similar in taste to my favorite steak house's specialty sauce. Only spicier. The sauce has a very full taste and not watered-down like most that are commercially available. Considering that the sauce itself was handmade by Anne. This is probably Anne's best cooking yet. Time will tell if and when she's gonna be able top this one on her next experiments.
The only problem I had with this dish is the use of Beef (it's the only meat available at that time). There are too much ligaments (the rubbery stuff) between the bones and the meat making it harder to separate the juice bits. Maybe pork would have been better..






No comments:

Post a Comment