Friday, July 22, 2011

Stuffed Pastry Treat

quiet food stall near MRT Ayala exit
Walking long distances, riding in a congested train and alighting in almost the farthest station would truly make one hungry. Perhaps that is the reason why MRT stations are lined with several different food stalls to choose from. One of which had caught our eye, Empanada Especiale. It's just a small food stall selling empanadas or stuffed baked pastry.  They offered 4 variants, chicken, ham and cheese, tuna, and pork.

We tried out their ham and cheese and chicken variants.

Location: Empanada Especiale, Ayala MRT Station
Food Ordered: Ham and Cheese and Chicken Empanada
Cost: P20 each

She says...

The stuffed pastry was really tasty. The chicken variant reminded me of the empanadas baked and sold in bakeries in the province, really tasty, meaty and so flavorful. The ham and cheese variant on the other hand was the one I liked most. The pastry really had that huge chunk of semi-molten cheese inside that was wrapped around a slice of sweet ham. It was just perfect.

She rates: 5/5

He says...
Empandas on my hand!

Who would have thought you'd find delicious empanada on an MRT station? Edible, sure. Decent, perhaps. But delicious, that's something else.

The empanada from this stall reminded me of  one of my favorite snack houses in the province. There was a right balance between the wrapping and the filling. The bread does not overwhelm the meat and vice versa. I liked both but the ham and cheese variant reminded me more of that snack house and so I liked it more.

This is one of those stalls that I'm sure I'll always be visiting when I pass by MRT Ayala.

He rates: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment